This is my 6th week at Slimming World and I have some fantastic news to share, another recipe in a zero syns full english breakfast and also some tips for surviving the Christmas Markets.
Slimming World Week 6
Last week I lost 4 lbs so I knew I would really have to try hard to if I wanted to keep up with that sort of progress. I also had an idea that I might have been Slimmer Of The Week but as I didn’t stay around for the meeting I had to wait a week to find out.
One of the things I have decided that I will do, is turn up for my weigh-in even if I am rushed off my feet and have no time to spare. I like to stay for the meetings but I do not let not attending a meeting get in the way of turning up just to get weighed, and that’s what I did last week. I was going out last Monday so popped into the meeting for 5 mins while on my way out.
As I missed the meeting last week I decided to stay this time around and I was very pleased that I did.
So I already reached my first stone lost in only 6 weeks! I also picked up Slimmer of the Week 2 weeks in a row.
Needless to say I received lots of evil looks from the rest of the group. This was made even worse when my girlfriend, Kel, picked up Slimmer Of The Month for November. We walked away with 4 Certificates between up and a big bag of fruit.
Surviving The Christmas Markets
Now that we are into December it is well and truly Christmas shopping time, and part of that is the Christmas Markets that seem to be held every weekend in every city centre
Birmingham City Center was host to the Frankfurt Christmas Market this weekend. The market itself has over 180 stalls and at my best guess I would say over 100 of them are food stalls, or at least it seems that way when walking around the place and trying to avoid all the treats (half a meter of Bratwurst anyone?) On top of all that you also have to avoid the food court in Selfridges which is no easy task.
Here are 5 tips for avoiding the treats and staying on the diet.
- Plan Ahead – Decide before you go how good (or bad) you are going to be and stick to it. It helps to do this at the start of the week so if you are going to be really bad then you have a week beforehand to be really good.
- Have A Big Breakfast – Filling up at breakfast goes a long way to stop you being hungry the rest of the day. Stuff yourself on as much Super Free food as possible to stop the snacking later on.
- Share – If you go with friends or family you can sample other people’s food instead of ordering a whole one yourself. Kel and I shared a glass of Hot Cherry Wine rather than having one each.
- Don’t Eat At The First Stall. Don’t stop at the first stall you get to, work you way around the market having a look at everything before choosing the best. This way you won’t be get food envy and order from every stall you come to.
- The Lesser Evil. Try to pick a treat that will be less syns. A large Bratwurst from the German Market stall in a roll with onions, ketchup and mustard will be easily be more than 30 syns (I think I’m being generous at 30!) Instead go for a small bag of roasted chestnuts (around 1 syn each, probably half a dozen in a bag) and a large beer in a traditional German Stein. It’s still going to be high in syns but not as bad as the alternates.
Most of my tips are damage limitation. I would never suggest you try to avoid enjoying whats on offer as tasting all the different foods is part of the christmas market fun. You can still enjoy yourself while thinking about your diet at the same time.
Zero Syns Full English Breakfast
Ok, so I admit the picture is not my breakfast! But mine was still very tasty.
As I said in my tips, a big breakfast that really stuffs you is a great way to stop you snacking between meals and a full english, especially a Zero Syns Full English, is the best way to do it.
My recipe for a belly busting zero syns full english breakfast:
- 3 Rashers of Lean Bacon with all fat removed. If you are lazy you can buy the weight watchers bacon medallions to save trimming time.
- 3 Linda McCartney Red Onion and Rosemary Sausages. Almost all the Linda McCartney Sausages are low in syns but I think its only the red onion and rosemary ones that are zero syns. It’s helpful that they are also quite tasty.
- Baked Beans. They add a bit of juice to your plate and save you needing ketchup. They are a Super Speed food so you should be eating them already.
- Tinned Plum Tomatoes. As with the beans they add plenty of juice and are a speed food, you could instead (or as well) have grilled fresh tomatoes
- Eggs. I like them scrambled as they are very quick and easy to cook in the microwave but however your serve them eggs are free.
- Mushrooms. Fried with Frylite and a bit of Rock Salt and Black Pepper.
- Tinned New Potatoes. Sliced and fried with your mushrooms.
All of the above is free. If you want to add some bread you can get 2 slices of Wholemeal Bread from a 400g loaf as a healthy ‘B’ extra. Flora buttery is 1 1/2 syns per tea-spoon and that should be plenty for both slices. I would give the butter a miss and instead cover it with beans, tomatoes and egg.
Finish it all off with half a grapefruit and you have a huge breakfast with plenty of spare syns for the rest of the day.
Next Weeks Targets
When I started Slimming World my target was to get into the 15’s rather than being in the 17’s and I’m almost there. To get to my first target of 15st 10lbs I need to lose another 2.5lbs and I’m determined to get these by next Monday’s meeting.
A couple of weeks ago I went to Donna Nook to see the grey seals on the beach and in the dunes. While there I picked up a sack of onions from the farmers stall in the car park. I remember them nearly breaking my back as I put them over my shoulder and carried them back across the fields to the car. The bag was 9kgs. I’ve used probably 2kgs of onions and whats left in the sack weighs around the same amount as I’ve lost over the last 6 weeks. It’s still pretty heavy. In fact it’s so heavy that I really couldn’t imagine having to carry it around with me all day.
So my parting advice would be to pick up something that is equal to the amount of weight you have lost, even if it is only a couple of pounds you will be very surprised at how if feels to carry around with you.
Thanks for reading.